Due to the widespread outbreak of Covid-19, many of us are likely to be working from home for the first time. Working from home isn’t as easy as it seems and many people are struggling in just HOW to work from home.
Here are our top tips to adapt to the change:
- Make to do lists. Creating a list of a few essential tasks for the day allows you to feel productive from the simple things. It can be as simple as having a cup of tea in the morning. Even better, it can be done the day before to plan ahead!
- Establish a routine. Many people are used to leaving the house and finishing work at certain times. If you would start in the office at 9, use this time to start in your home office. Sticking to your old timetable helps minimize the changes you face and allows everyone to stay in touch with you.
- Create a workspace. There is a huge temptation to stay on the sofa; but don’t. Setting aside an office space in a spare room/corner focuses your working mindset a lot better. Save the sofa for the Netflix binging once you’ve finished working.
- Keep in touch. Communication is key! When out of the office it can be hard to talk to your team to ensure everything is going smoothly, but it will save you a lot of work down the line. We have a Zoom call first thing every morning to catch up on the previous day and help us to focus on the next one.
- Exercise. Staying sat at the desk all the day can cause you to cramp up. The time normally spent commuting is ample opportunity to get moving. Outside exercise is best to get some fresh air and a change of scenery but home workouts and stretching is just as good! It really is healthy body, healthy mind.
- Schedule in time for the kids. Working from home can be even tougher with younger children at home, but its not impossible! To keep them busy give them some of their schoolwork or new activities to try, this allows you to get that precious time to focus. If you have a partner isolating with you then why not take it in turns to look after them, this will give you more time to work effectively. Also explain the situation to your employer, as everyone is going through change right now they are likely to be understanding and help you out.
- Take a break. It can be really hard to keep focus all day, especially when you’re surrounded by many distractions at home. It is important to take a break and refresh your mind: give a friend a call, sit down with a cup of tea and a book for a few minutes, or use even do some chores. Whatever works for you to have a change of focus.
- Don’t be hard on yourself. You don’t have to be at your most productive during a pandemic! Stress is likely to be very high with all the changes in the atmosphere, adapting can be hard and nobody will get it right first time!
- Find what works for you. Some people are more productive in the mornings, some are more of a night owl
- Set a time to switch off from work. Once you clock off, ensure you clock off and do something completely different.
We hope that has given a few extra tips in how to work from home as healthily as possible.
While we’re in different boats, we’re certainly in the same ocean, and you’re not alone in this.